Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Background

Gaston, SC~So I guess some background information on how this came about would be appropriate. The middle school that I work with is a NASA Explorer school. This designation allowed the opportunity for a teacher (Cherlyn Anderson) to apply to work with the Spaceward Bound: Atacoma program. She was accepted and went to Chili for a field experience during the summer of 2006. Cherlyn was one of seven teachers chosen nationwide. She is currently a lead teacher for the 2007 opportunity and encouraged me to apply. Needless to say, I am happy I did as I now get to experience the research first hand.

As part of our experience we are responsible to attend trainings via the web or videoconferencing and submit homework. Yes, homework! Actually, I will be a better participant because of it. The homework consists of reading reflections, journal postings, re-writing sample protocols and sharing them with my lead teacher. I have been exposed to a tremendous amount of information and am still trying to take it all in. I am hopeful by the time the expedition arrives that I will be able to carry on an intelligent conversation with the NASA researchers.

17 days and counting!

No comments: